New Stuff and Inspiration
Han Solo frozen. In my drink.
Drink cubes sponsored by Jabba the Hut. You can pick up these clever cubes at Think Geek.
Would you like to mindlessly scroll through “channels” of entertaining animated .gifs? Well, if you found yourself saying “yes” to your monitor just now, then go to Gif.tv and feast your eyes.
The power of controversy
This video/spot came out in June 2011 and already has over 2.6 million hits. A lot of folks are mostly wondering how it was done and what the tricks were to achieve the illusion that a baby can shred a full-sized electric guitar. But, regardless, this type of controversy and interest creates hype, and that’s what produces viral successes in very short periods of time.
IDE Exhibit at the Redline Gallery
Design for developing countries is a rare and welcome area of growth for design professionals.
This weekend, I saw the exhibit “Design For The Other 90%” at Redline Gallery. The premise is that nearly all designers design with the richest 10% in mind. The other 90% of global citizens don’t benefit from design innovation. They are too poor to be a sought after target market for most professionals holding design degrees. The design in this exhibit was just short of miraculous, solving multiple problems at once. There was a straw that purifies water while the user sucks it up, a pot that can charge a cell phone battery while it boils water, and a pit toilet that can sprout a tree when full. A few others were designed by iDE, headquartered here in Denver, Colorado. The founder, Paul Polak, established the approach of bringing people out of poverty by enabling them to earn more money. These design innovations can, and will, change the scope of life for millions of people.
On the other hand, when designing for the richest 10%, it is harder and harder to impress, much less amaze. Designers are tripping over themselves to serve that 10%. It’s crowded. How do you innovate for people that already have every convenience imaginable? Maybe the answer lies in helping the 10% use less, instead of more — but make it convenient. How about a hose spigot that beeps after you’ve used 100 gallons of water? Or a sprinkler timer designed with conservation in mind? Or a kitchen sink drain that takes gray water straight out to the garden?
Even brand managers could take a few cues from the developing world. Just think, Arab Spring, Slumdog Millionaire and Ethiopian pirates are all far more interesting than Hollywood, D.C. or Facebook. Young people growing up with more exposure to the developing world will be more comfortable with brands that stand for survival, tribalism, generosity and rebellion than brands that promote the Norman Rockwell version of American life.
illustration by Caryn Arredondo
For all those who dream of checking out and going off the grid, here are some images to fuel your fantasy. These two artists cruise around the wild west making art and weaving textiles in their gorgeous homemade plywood trailer. You may not be able to pull the plug yourself, but don’t fret. You can buy their handwoven textiles on Etsy. And wrap yourself in the idea of freedom.
Wow, seriously bad weather
Hope you all have a evil cloud-free friday.
iPhone app that lets you be a pilot
Technology is an ever-changing beast, and we all are basking in it’s benefits. Most everyone has a smart phone, and no longer uses it just to make a call or check a message. You can do just about anything from a hand held device. And now, you can fly a helicopter, too.
Griffin, an Apple accessory company, has created a $50 helicopter you can control from your iphone. Wow. Here’s the official write up:
HELO TC is a twin-rotored, indoor helicopter built on a lightweight metal frame with a black polycarbonate body. It comes with a Flight Deck infrared module, which plugs into an iOS device to transmit control signals to the helicopter. Two modes of flight are available: Touch Control, using the Multi-Touch display to control HELO TC’s throttle and joystick; and Tilt to Steer mode, which uses the iOS device’s accelerometers: tilting the iOS device moves the helicopter forward, back, and side to side. The app can record and store up to three Flight Plans so you, or another pilot, can repeat a favorite flight pattern easily.
People taking naps with stuff
Sometimes you just wanna see some interesting pictures of people taking a nap with some stuff. Here you go!
Screenprinting + Letters = Happy Sukle
Wow, someone just sent me a link to this super-cool screenprinted alphabet. We are suckers for type, and for screenprinting here, so of course we love it. Hopefully Mike will buy them all and hang them in the shop.
Done by JP Boneyard Design